Food rules (yeah it does!)- by Michael Pollan
I am not sure how I learnt about Michael Pollan, but I think it’s been about 2 years or so that I have come to know and read about his work. I was lucky enough to hear him speak in person last year at Rutgers new Brunswick. He was just great and that’s where I bought this handy-dandy book of his which I thoroughly enjoyed and would like to recommend to others.
It’s divided into three sections:
1. Part 1: What should I eat (answer is eat food) 2. Part 2: What kind of foods should I eat (answer being mostly plants) and lastly Part 3: How should I eat (and the answer is: not too much).
It’s a very simple book with some commonsense rules and others simple but mighty revelations.
Here are some of my favorites:
1. Avoid food products containing ingredients you can’t pronounce (ie mostly contains chemicals), contains HFCS (because that just gets stored as fat) or more than 5 ingredients.
2. Eat only foods that will eventually rot, that way you know you are eating something not highly processed and unnatural.
3. If it came from a plant, eat it. If it was made in a plant, avoid. Similar to avoid foods made in places that required everyone to wear surgical caps.
4. It’s not food if it arrived through the window of your car.
5. Drink the spinach water; when boiling vegetables, don’t throw the boiled water.
6. Sweeten and salt your food yourself.
7. Don’t eat breakfast cereal that change the color of milk
8. Pay more, eat less. In other words, spend the money to buy organic even if it means 1 apple instead of 2.
9. Stop eating before you are full.
10. The banquet is in the first bite. I really like this one and it helped me take just 5 bites of a sundae.
11. Spend as much time enjoying the meal as it took to prepare it.
12. Serve a proper portion and don’t go back for seconds.
13. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a princess and dinner like a pauper.
and my favorite: Don’t get fuel from the same place your car does and also break the rules once in a while! (be careful of that one!)